Saturday, December 5, 2009

A word about the word “boondocking,” which shouldn't be a word


I have scratched the underbelly of the RVing society and encountered some things I don’t much like. The gas mileage of the Minnie Winnie, for one.

And the term “boondocking” I have a hard time with. This is when you stay in your RV somewhere that’s not an RV park, so you’re not hooked up to water, power and sewage.

But self-contained RVs have a water tank, a sewage holding tank, and the Minnie Winnie has a generator for power. You can pay twenty, thirty, forty, fifty bucks to stay in an RV park, and sure, some have swimming pools, laundry facilities and the like. I can see doing that occasionally to empty your tanks, wash your clothes, refill your water and charge your batteries. But all the time?

That’s like buying an espresso machine so you can make your own coffee, then driving it to a coffee shop and paying them to plug in your coffee maker so you can have coffee from your own machine. I just don’t get it.

Plus, most RV places I’ve seen pack you in next to other RVers and, well, I’d rather “boondock,” except I can’t stand to use that phrase in the context it’s been given.

Boondocks is a fine term. Means out in the boonies. The sticks. Hinterland. Originally “bundoc” in Tagalog, adopted by WWII GI’s who heard it used in the Philippines, where it means “mountain.”

So it’s a noun. But RV folks have turned it into a verb, where you’re boondocking, or you boondocked, or if you want to boondock, you can stay in the WalMart parking lot, or behind the Applebees restaurant.

“WalMart parking lot” and “boondock,” in any form, should never, ever, be seen or heard in the same sentence. Except the one you just read.

It’s called “freedom camping” in New Zealand, according to my source Damien Seuss, who toured around NZ for six months in “Teeny-Tiny,” the 16-foot RV his family of four stayed in.

And then there’s the movie “Boondock Saints.” It takes place in the city. I don’t understand.

Bushwacking is what I kept calling it by mistake when I began Operation Minnie Winnie. Though you can’t really get off the beaten path in an RV, so that’s not accurate either. Matter of fact, you can barely travel a washboarded dirt path in an RV, for fear your molars will rattle from your head.

“Dry camping” is an alternative phrase I’ve heard. Which is pretty dry, but makes more sense than boondocking.

OK, I’m done. That’s been bothering me for some time. You can go back to what you were doing now.

And that photo up there was taken while I was out dry camping/bushwhacking/parked far from the nearest spigot, electric hookup, sewer dump, swimming pool and/or laundry room. Beautiful, isn’t it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have the wrong definition of "Boondocking". It simply means your not "Docked" at the "Boon" which is a mispelling or derivation of "Boom" which as we all know is where you get electricity, water and sewer... sort of like "To Blave" which we all know means "to bluff", when it doesn't mean "true love". As an old poker player you should know that...

Jon Rombach said...

I'm fairly positive you just made up those words and their definitions.

Jaimie Hall-Bruzenak said...

Whatever you call it, it's a great way to take full advantage of your self-contained RV. What I dislike is when you are dry camping/boondocking and another RVer parks right next to you even though there are miles of forest or desert around you!

Jaimie Hall Bruzenak
http://blog.rvlifestyleexperts.com

Info Girl said...

I actually like the term "boondocking". First it shows the English language is fluid, and changing. I like that we add new words to it to reflect our lives. And I think to boondock is to use the rv as it was intended in the past. Get out and enjoy nature not your neighbors music/party/loud argument or what ever, I'd much rather hear a coyote serenade!

tgt said...

Boondock is the only Filipino word used in the English language. It means "out in the middle of nowhere" not mountain.

Jon Rombach said...

tgt: I agree that boondocks brings to mind 'out in the middle of nowhere' in American usage. Not parking lots. Which is pretty much my point.

But the original 'bundoc' does mean mountain:

http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/boondocks/

...I don't know what the Tagalog term for parking lot is.

Stephanie: yes, a fluid, flexible language is a good thing. My vocabulary just isn't limber enough to embrace this one yet.

It would be like adopting 'cul-de-sac' to mean 'turn around.' As in: "I drove into the city to go boondocking, but got cul-de-sacced by a roundabout and ended up out in the boondocks."