Friday, March 19, 2010

The Giving Away Tree has a special this week on electric ranges



A gas leak blew the knobs off the last propane stove I had in my kitchen. The mini explosion also lifted the rings off the burners and caused ringing in my ears. Too bad, since it was an ultra-cool appliance from the 50’s. I hated to take it to the scrap pile in the sky but blowing up is a feature I decided just wasn’t worth it.

So I’ve been using a free stove I loaded up from some stranger’s driveway. It wasn’t pretty, but worked. Now I have a pretty one again. New. Snazzy. And the free stove is going back into the universe from whence it came. Thanks, free stove, for your service. You heated water and baked things with the best of them. Now you can continue to roam the earth, preparing meals for other people. Godspeed.

So I’ve plopped the old one under the spruce tree at the end of my driveway. The giving tree, I’ll call it from now on. Or the giving away tree, I guess. Swing by and load the thing up. The price is firm and no matter how hard you haggle with me, I will not budge from free. Because, frankly, I don’t want to help load it up. You’re on your own there. Please, no need to come to the house. Free is free. Enjoy it, whoever you are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good looking stove Dude. God will reward you for putting the free stove back into the free universe... well, maybe not, but it is a good way to unload a not wanted stove. Sometimes. Sometimes free items just sit there in the free universe and rust or rot or what ever a freebie does.

Tammy Malgesini said...

I did that with a hot tub once. Well, I didn't put it by a giving tree, but I put a big cardboard sign in the driveway: Free hot tub. If you haul it, you can have it. Within an hour the first person that stopped took it. Cheaper and more environmentally friendly than hauling it to the landfill.