Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dandelions summon hail

My dandelions are not ordinary. They saw me getting the mower in running order to mow them down and somehow managed to disconnect the coil wire. Fine. I'm used to their simple acts of sabotage. Last year they set a trip wire that triggered an incendiary bomb when I went to get the gas can to fuel the mower. That little prank cost me two eyebrows. So I've learned to sweep the undercarriage of the riding mower with a mirror on a pole like you see at border crossings.

Now, though, it appears they can conjure weather like some kind of mutant X-Men character.

I started mowing them down under a blue sky and I could see them whispering, then holding their leaves up to the sky and, sure enough, it starts sprinkling but I pushed on, not impressed by their little rain dance.

So they held their pistles or xylems and phloems or whatever up higher and summoned a hailstorm. A hailstorm, I say. Conjured right out of a blue sky.

Those white tracers are hail balls. And those little yellow flowers have magical powers.

So they've won this round and I'll have to rethink my landscaping approach. Maybe get some weed and feed, or an exorcist or I don't know what.

My yard, which will eventually be a hayfield if the dandelions get their way.

Still hailing.

1 comment:

Darren Senn said...

Hey guy, I can do better than that. I've got full-blown snow over here! It's in the 20's most mornings. Long live winter. I think I need a new elevation.