Wednesday, February 6, 2013

You're too kind, Imnaha River, too kind

Jim Hepworth and I stopped at the Imnaha Tavern for breakfast and rigged up our rods while waiting for Dave and Sally to open.

Local guy walking by took a lot at the rods and asked if we were hoping to get some exercise today.

Sensing sarcasm, I asked if by that he meant we weren't going to catch any fish.

Sensing I wasn't too bright, he nodded and said yes. Too early and too cold for catching steelhead, says he.

I kicked him in the nuts and said, Don't you ever, EVER, try to dampen my enthusiasm like that. I'm very fragile that way. I have delicate feelings. Very sensitive to such things. Then I kicked him in the nuts once more to punctuate the message and we went on our way after picking up some very tasty egg and ham sandwiches to go.

Six casts into the first spot and whammo. I started the workout he forecasted, but it was upper body, mainly in the forearm region, wrassling this fish.


Not the largest swimmer ever, but this 22-inch fish was missing its adipose fin, which is how biologists indicate which fish should go home with Jon to be fileted, marinated and put into the smoker.

At the next spot, known as 'Undisclosed Location,' Hepworth spoke of how fishy this run was, though I'd been here before and not done much good.

Sensing my doubts, Hepworth kicked me in the nuts and proceeded to land two wild fish.




What a great day. Doctor Hepworth had two more grabs, I caught a nice native 16-inch rainbow and missed another steelhead that took a swipe at my fly.

For being too early and too cold, it sure was more perfect.