Friday, March 11, 2011

You should have seen the septic tank

A broken toilet seat. Not a burned-out lightbulb. Not a leaky faucet. The seat on the toilet in my house broke.


It’s pretty basic. A lid and a ring on a hinge. Been contemplating the universe from that seat for, oh, I’d say about five years. Nice looking wooden model for that rustic experience while moving things from one place to another.


I didn’t figure on ever replacing that toilet seat. I really thought that was one item you would install and be done with it.


But craftsmanship isn’t what it used to be and the copper tube this seat used for a pin on which the seat would pivot was made from ultra-thin metal. A big copper straw, really. I’m surprised it withstood that many visits, once I saw what we were dealing with.


So I bought a new one that will probably fall apart five years from now and confronted the dilemma of what you do with a broken used toilet seat. It’s a little bit gross, even to be throwing in the trash. So another solution occurred to me. And it gave me the closure I was looking for.


This is what chorizo will do to you.

No comments: